View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008   #77
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predict the 53-man roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
1. After 2 years of decent (nobody said great) play, I don't care what Jacksonville fans think of Salaam any more than Patriots fans care what we (or Philly fans) think of Jabar Gaffney. I don't see Gibbs and Kubiak sitting down with him and saying "We just realized you sucked two years ago in J'ville, so we're gonna have to let you go.

2. Reeves has only started 14 games, but he's played in 60 games. I don't know how many of those were ST only, and how many were as a replacement or nickel, but I do know he's gone through 4 Training Camps, and 4 years worth of in-season practices and game review/prep.

And no, I don't compare Faggins to Salaam just because he has experience. If experience were the only thing I cared about, I'd still want Jordan Black around. Salaam is servicable as a starter, and above average as a backup. Typically guys don't spend 10-plus years in the NFL if they don't have something to offer. If you're going to try to bust on Reeves because he's only got "about 12" starts in the NFL, how about giving some credit to Salaam for having 129

I'm not busting on Reeves. I'm excited about him. I am not the one arguing that experience should carry heavy weight at a position. We've been in a talent deficit for a long time and have finally climbed out of it. So, the last thing I want to see this season are guys like : Salaam, Zoniga, Faggins, Fletcher, Ferguson, etc... make this team because they have experience. Meanwhile, talented players get cut becuase they are unproven.

Regarding Salaam, specifically, I'd rather have a fall back plan of using Pitts at LT if Brown and Butler falter if that enables us to keep a promising young player like Studdard or Frye.

I don't believe this team can win anything of significance with Salaam at LT. That's what I've learned from all of his experience in Houston. I appreciate his efforts and the contributions he made, much like I appreciated Ron Dayne, and Billy Miller... But they aren't good enough to contribute substantively on a team trying to win the AFC south and make Superbowls.
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote