View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008   #22
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Have Things Turned Out As Planned?

Quote:
No, weather alone doesn't win games. But it can be a factor between teams that are closely matched. Look at the lack of success of dome teams playing in cold weather during the playoffs. I guarantee you that dome teams and southern teams have a better road record in games over 40 than in under 40.
Disagree. One, there's not that many dome teams so it's really a small sample size. Now, it goes without saying that dome teams that go on the road are not going to have as good a record as they will in the friendly confines of their dome, I'll give you that, but you can say that for every single team in the NFL. Teams home records are better than their road records. Two, don't think that just because you play in Green Bay, that you're better suited for the inclement weather. Those cold weather teams practice INDOORS, out of the elements. They aren't any more used to it than you or I. I work outside in the Houston heat and humidity and have for the last 15 years, and I can guarantee you you never get used to it. Thirdly, I'd have to go back and look it up, but I believe the Houston Texans, a warm weather, virtually a dome team, is undefeated when the temperature is below 40 degrees. Could be wrong on that, I'd have to double check. I know they beat Chicago in 5 degree weather and it seems like there was another sub 40 game the Texans won. Pittsburgh maybe?

Quote:
I think a big problem with the Pittsburgh game was that fans and stadium personnel just weren't prepared for a hot weather game. If everyone knows that it is going to be a sauna and takes the proper precautions (including giving someone else your tickets if you aren't able to endure the heat), there wouldn't be so many problems.
Disagree again. as mentioned, having worked in this Houston heat for 15 years, I was plenty prepared at the Steeler game. It was still miserable, and that's an understatement. If you can't see the field because of the sun's glare, then it's probably the massive amounts of sweat flooding into your eyes keeping you from seeing anything. Never mind that any part of your seat that isn't covered becomes 500 degrees so that pretty much keeps you from moving at all. And it's not the fans fault that the Texans ran out of water.

I know, I know, you do it all the time at A&M, UT or where ever. And if the Texans still had the roof open for days like that, and I still sat on that side of the stadium, I'd still be there every single time 'till the clock hit triple 0's, like I did the first 4 seasons and for that Steeler game. But as mentioned above, Reliant isn't an open air stadium. There is no air flow in that place with the roof open. So when you are in the sun, you might as well be in an oven.

If you want to talk about home field advantage, if there's any at all, it has more to do with the fans, being loud and getting into the game. Fans CAN affect the other team hearing the signals and such, drawing false start penalties. There's some advantage there. That Pittsburgh game took the fans out of the game and with it what ever home field advantage there might have been.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote