View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008   #21
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Have Things Turned Out As Planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange View Post
No, weather alone doesn't win games. But it can be a factor between teams that are closely matched. Look at the lack of success of dome teams playing in cold weather during the playoffs. I guarantee you that dome teams and southern teams have a better road record in games over 40 than in under 40.

I admit I didn't think about Reliant's vertical design. Yes, it does make it difficult for air to circulate compared to the open air stadiums I am used to like UT, A&M, Rice, Baylor, etc. However, Dallas has an even worse situation with that stupid little hole in the roof. I think a big problem with the Pittsburgh game was that fans and stadium personnel just weren't prepared for a hot weather game. If everyone knows that it is going to be a sauna and takes the proper precautions (including giving someone else your tickets if you aren't able to endure the heat), there wouldn't be so many problems.

They had been publicizing the open roof all week.

They just didn't consider that it is substantially hotter inside the stadium than the outside temperature. It's not just a sauna--when you are sitting in the direct sun at the stadium, it is like being an ant being scorched by a magnifying glass.

There is no way you could have prepared for that game as a fan. You could have been buttnekkid slathered in sunscreen sitting on sheets of ice and had problems sitting in the sun area of the stadium. People had skin seared off of them from trying to sit in the seats.

Fortunately, I had shade tickets for that game and it was so hot I couldn't even drink a beer. If it is too hot to drink beer, it is too danged hot.

The conditions were dangerous.

The Texans want fans to be in their seats and not have to retreat to the concourse. Having a much better team on the field than for that awful Pittsburgh game helps. The roof policy is intended to make sure the most fans, young and old, can cheer on their team.

I do think that they could make the bottom end of that policy lower. 50 degrees inside the stadium is not that cold--no wind.