View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008   #14
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Have Things Turned Out As Planned?

Well, it's not a very good plan to think you're going to use your stadium to help you win football games. Stadiums don't win football games, good teams do, in any stadium. Put a team on the field that wins football games, and I don't care if they play in the Fiesta parking lot.

You don't go to Lambeau in December and lose because of the stadium, or the weather that stadium allows in. You lose because the Packers are usually a pretty good football team. And when the Packers weren't very good back in the 70's and 80's, you go to Lambeau and beat them. Doesn't matter about the weather. Where was the stadium "advantage" then?

Personally, in this day and age of technology, I find it difficult to believe there was a miscalculation of sun angle by architects regarding Reliant. I think that's just the way it was going to be from the get go, once the rodeo said there needed to be a roof on the thing. The problem in the beginning was that they simply didn't have enough pallets to rotate. I think that has now been rectified. I don't recall the field looking as bad at the end of the year the last couple of seasons, as it did the 1st couple of years. They have adequate pallets now that they can switch out. Now, sometimes there's a problem switching when you have high school and college games Friday and Saturday, and then a Texans game Sunday. Yeah, the field will look a little worn then, but still nothing like I've seen Hienz Field and some of the other open air grass fields, look like in December.

Quote:
Many franchises actually get part of their identity from their weather. Green Bay, Chicago, New England, Buffalo, Cleveland have all used the cold to their advantage. Miami has used its warm weather to its advantage, as has Dallas. Miami, San Francisco, Oakland and recently Seattle have also had an advantage by playing in rainy conditions at home. When Minnesota moved into a domed stadium, they actually lost a large part of their identity and have gone from a tough defensive team to a team that is usually soft.
Again, that has nothing to do with stadiums and weather. It has to do with those teams being good. How come Miami hasn't used their so-called advantage lately? Or the Niners? Or Buffalo? Why, because it has nothing to do with their stadiums or the weather they play in. It has to do with their football teams not being very good.

What advantage or identity does Dallas have? They can play in 105 degree heat in September and then play an ice bowl game on Thanksgiving on the same field.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote