View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008   #62
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predict the 53-man roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Really? Only 1st round pick and zero high priced FAs. I wouldn't say the Texans have shopped strictly at the dollar store here, but it's nothing compared to the Saks prices spent on the d-line.

I'm having a difficult time believing I'm the guy defending Salaam's spot on the team. I wanted him replaced in the draft, and was hoping for Chris Williams. That didn't happen, but I've totally bought into the Duane Brown pick and am in total agreement that he should get every chance at the starting LT spot. Salaam has been a fringe starter his entire career. He's been replaced in Atlanta by Todd Weiner, in Denver by Matt Lepsis, in Jax by Khalif Barnes, and hopefully in Houston by Duane Brown. Salaam wouldn't have even been a starter the past 2 seasons but for injuries at the Tackle position.

But what Salaam has going for him is 9 seasons of starting experience in the NFL. Playing both Tackle spots. I understand that Rashad Butler has more potential, and could even beat Salaam for the swing Tackle spot. That would be great. But Brown and Butler have zero games as starting NFL Tackles between them. Zero.

I can't see Gary Kubiak and Alex Gibbs going into the season with that stat staring them in the face. I would consider Salaam a security blanket for the '08 season.
A season critical for this team and this staff. All goes well, they can send Salaam on his way in '09. Not just yet.
absolutely great post and great points all across the board.

key to me is i just don't see Kubiak being comfortable with D. Brown at LT without Salaam behind him for one season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If they thought Salaam wasn't going to make the squad, they would have let him go just as they did Quinn Gray....
...to give him a shot to get picked up by someone else prior to T/C.

I'm with Champ, Ole Miss, & Lucky. Salaam is damned good insurance at the LT spot. And with him not having to play every down in every game, I'm thinking that his spot appearances will be of higher quality.
and i think Salaam is that insurance policy that makes Kubiak comfortable throwing Brown to the wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Getting rid of Salaam would be like getting rid of Sage. Both have capabilities of stepping into the starting role if injuries come up, with out missing too much of a beat (if any). However, neither is a longterm answer for their respective positions on this team.
not taking anything away from the younger options but when it comes to security it's a pretty big gamble to have inexperience as your security net specifically for this one season

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If they thought Salaam wasn't going to make the squad, they would have let him go just as they did Quinn Gray....
...to give him a shot to get picked up by someone else prior to T/C.

I'm with Champ, Ole Miss, & Lucky. Salaam is damned good insurance at the LT spot. And with him not having to play every down in every game, I'm thinking that his spot appearances will be of higher quality.
great observation Obsi, i agree with that thinking as well. he would have been given a chance elsewhere. but i also agree with dull murphy that if salaam doesn't make the team that that says alot about our young talent that we do have.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote