View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008   #17
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN - Scouts Inc- Rankings (QB, RB, WR, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
WR rankings out today Texans @ #13

"Andre Johnson is a premier No. 1 receiver who continues to play at a high level when healthy. He has the speed and quickness to attack all levels in the passing game and shows outstanding catching skills. He has good size and strength to allow him separation on different route combinations. Kevin Walter is a big, strong possession receiver who knows how to use his size to shield defenders downfield. Andre Davis has exceptional straight-line speed and can attack the deep vertical areas in the passing game. Jacoby Jones is an intriguing young player who must become more consistent but should increase his playing time thanks to his big-play capabilities."

In order: NE, Ariz, Cincy, GB, Indy, Clev, Det, Dal, SD, Pitt, NYG, NO, HOU, Car, Philly, Atl, Den, NYJ, Seattle, Jax, Wash, Balt, StL, Buff, KC, Tampa, Oak, Minn, Tenn, SF, Chi, Mia

I think the health of AJ and the emergence of JJ coupled with the speed of AD and the possesion of Walter and the flash of Darnell Jenkins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWtizMV6Xc), who I hope makes the team because he brings a different dimension to our current group will equal a very strong combo of wideouts. Of course a healthy Schaub wont hurt either.
As far as the ranking, the only teams ahead of us I have a beef with are San Diego, New Orleans and maybe Dallas. If this ranking includes TE's, then I can see the Chargers and Dallas being rated ahead of us. But if you're not factoring in Antonio Gates, the Charger wideouts are pretty pedestrian, even with Chris Chambers. The Saints' passing game really struggled because Colston has yet to prove he is a true #1. Meanwhile, Dallas' WR corps mirrors ours--a superstar surrounded by role players. I like our star better, and I think our role players are better, too, but it's a closer call.

I suppose I could throw Detroit into that mix, too, on the grounds that their production has not matched their early-pick pedigrees. But I think Calvin Johnson, if healthy again, is going to explode this season.

That having been said, I'm not sure I would trade ours for anyone else's at this point. We seem to have the only star WR who's neither a headcase nor a locker-room tyrant/divider. That's got to be worth something.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote