View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008   #243
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79683 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
A lot of the "system" guys who spend a lot of time in the shotgun haven't translated well to the pros. VY is one of those guys (with the jury still out). I think Carr was one of those guys. The whole Jeff Tedford crew of QB failures are in that same class, iirc. And although Kolb wasn't in that exact same offense, he was in a non-standard offense and he'd been in one offense for his entire college and high school career. There were concerns that the system inflated his numbers like Tedford's system does and like the Run And Shoot did with the Coogs back in the day and there were concerns that Kolb's numbers were the same sort of phenomena. Could he operate in a pro offense? Could he learn a new offense? Was he really as good as his stats?

Just the fact that he was a QB from UH was a huge strike against him because of the track record of UH QBs.
As a side note, being an avid Cougars fan, I can tell you one more thing.

Neither Klinger nor Ware was high in my book.
It was Danny Davis who won us two SWC championships. He missed his junior year after an injury against Penn St. early in the season (otherwise it could have been 3 in a row.)

Guy ran the veer under Bill Yeoman (a run option offense first.)
Yet he was good enough to send a WR and a TE to the NFL.
He made good read on the option, and the Cougars also send a RB to the Pros. A balance attack.

Only Kolb surpassed him in my book even though Kolb had less success in a lesser league. Kolb simply did not have enough support all around.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote