View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008   #242
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Well, you're pulling the 50% out of thin air. You don't know what percentage Kolb was under center. I don't know what percentage Kolb was under center. I haven't gone through any of his games and counted because I don't care. Apparently, the guys that are paid to count those things thought it was less than 50% and thought that the amount of time was a problem.

Coming out of college, VY's lack of under center experience was a big concern for a lot of guys. It was a surprise when he went to the Titans instead of Leinart. Very few people really thought he'd go that high unless he went to the Texans. The Titans took a shot with VY because of his freakish athleticism and that's why he was considered first round pick... despite his college experience.

A lot of the "system" guys who spend a lot of time in the shotgun haven't translated well to the pros. VY is one of those guys (with the jury still out). I think Carr was one of those guys. The whole Jeff Tedford crew of QB failures are in that same class, iirc. And although Kolb wasn't in that exact same offense, he was in a non-standard offense and he'd been in one offense for his entire college and high school career. There were concerns that the system inflated his numbers like Tedford's system does and like the Run And Shoot did with the Coogs back in the day and there were concerns that Kolb's numbers were the same sort of phenomena. Could he operate in a pro offense? Could he learn a new offense? Was he really as good as his stats?

Just the fact that he was a QB from UH was a huge strike against him because of the track record of UH QBs.
And of course, all of these concerns are very legitimate.

That is why we pay money to the scouting department.

I can tell you a few things:

If the Pats sent their offensive coordinator to work out Kolb privately (and not other QBs) tell me something.

If all these teams want to talk to Kolb to find out what kind of offense he ran, and how he ran it... that also tells me something.

I've watched him for four years. The 50% is not out of thin air.

Just like when we discussed about RBs, I said I have concern about Stewart (Oregon), Forte and Slaton, etc. running out of the shotgun quite a bit.
You know that I can tell whether Alridge or Jackie Battle did the same, and I never deny that fact.

I cannot profess that I've seen all the games, but I've seen enough to tell you that Pat White or Dixon were under center no more than Kolb. I want to say fewer times than Kolb, but one simply can't say for sure until one review every single game in their respective careers.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote