View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008   #239
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
As the draft drew nearer, several sport sites indicated that Kolb may very well be the third QB to be drafted.

I've seen as high as #20.
Adam Schefter at NFL.com had Kolb going late on the first day or early on the second day.

Where was it that I'm working with hindsight?

Soon as the Browns took Quinn at #22, if you were a GM, you ought to look at the teams and decide where you need to be to pick up the franchise QB that you're looking for.
First off, Schefter having Kolb late first day or early second day is exactly where I said he was expected to go... 3rd or 4th round.

Secondly, the hindsight is that you know where you have to trade up to to be able to get Kolb. You're saying that it was obvious that the Eagles were going to be drafting him and so you have to trade up before the Eagles to get him and I don't believe that was the case. With all the needs that the Eagles had, it was a surprise they went with a QB in the 2nd round.

IF the Texans had their sights on Kolb (which they obviously didn't) and IF they had not traded for Schaub, they probably would have thought that he'd still be there with the 7th pick (?, was it 7th) in the 2nd round. They only team they would have thought they needed to be in front of was the Dolphins.

In your scenario, the Texans would have been left without their franchise QB because he wouldn't have been there when they were picking and we'd probably have John Beck as "The Man".

But like I've said before, the whole point is moot. The Texans did not think he was "The Man". They did not target him as a guy they wanted to lead our team. Without that one essential ingredient, this is all just mental masturbation.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote