View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008   #236
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Anybody can count the Ints.
You never did tell me why you think Ryan is a "high bust potential".

I did not even hear any rebuttal about the "under center" remark.

(I just mean to talk football, never anything personal.)

So how do you think when I say that in a certain game, Ryan was in the shotgun more than he was in the normal set?
My guess is that you did not see it. How can you believe what you read more than what you see with your own eyes, I'm only asking!

To be honest, I only came back to review this game (BC/VaTech) because I have it on hand to check out Adibi and Duane Brown.
This the game the Eagles won, not the one they lost big.

Would you believe me when I say that I counted 24 snaps under center and 49 in the shotgun for Ryan?

(As usual, I don't profess to be good at counting.
Also, as I checked, a few penalties may screw that up a bit.)

I won't bother mentioning the "potential" Ints since you have that down pat!

The thing I really want to say is that Kolb is a whole hell of a lot ready for the WCO than Matt Ryan (besides being a better QB in general) based on what I observed.

If you see him play throughout the 4 years and you disagree then I would say OK, we agree to disagree.

Hey, but I'm sure I'm a homer.
I never did have a chance to tell folks about a few things I think Kolb needs to watch!

He's done gone anywho!
You really should break this up into separate points.

1. I think that Ryan has a high bust potential because he threw so many interceptions in college. In the pros, he's probably going to have even less separation between his receivers and the DB's. To me, interceptions that high indicate either a lack of concentration, lack of intelligence, trying to force the ball in where it shouldn't be forced in, or a lack of arm strength. Since this kids supposed to have a good arm, that leads me to think he's got some other issues that are going to make his transition to the NFL hard.

I think he was one of the better QB's in a bad QB draft class and he was taken too high. He may turn into a good QB, he may not. Picking QB's is always a crapshoot.

2. I didn't "rebut" the statement about Kolb under center because you had stated in another post that you'd seen everyone saying that he spent most of his time on the shotgun.

If you want a little taste of what I was talking about then fine. Here are a couple of the citations where draft people were worried about his lack fo footwork.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...yers/6114.html
Takes most of his snaps from the shotgun and benefits from a three-receiver system. Tends to direct his throws. Stares down the primary target.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/...evin_kolb.html
A big issue will be adjusting to an NFL playbook. Kolb is going to need more work lining up under center and operating out of a pro attack.
And I really don't care how much Ryan spent under center vs. Kolb. You're making a point that is irrelevant to me. That's actually a point on my side because I think Ryan was drafted way too high to begin with.

3. This whole point of this discussion is that you proposed an alternate history that was based on some questionable assumptions in an attempt to show how we could have gotten Kolb so that we could have had Kolb being groomed while Sage played. The bottom line is that if we hadn't traded for Schaub, Kolb was not going to be available with our 2nd round pick. Smithiak would have had to have been psychic to be able to determine that we needed to trade up to get Kolb and that's assuming that Smithiak even had Kolb marked as a late-first/early second round prospect which is in and of itself doubtful.

But, its pretty obvious that Smithiak did NOT have Kolb as highly ranked as you did. It's obvious that they did not think he was the man.

So your scenario is on parr with those guys that call in with those bizarre trade scenarios where teams swap weird picks and different players that have no basis in anything remotely feasible. Except that you're doing it after the fact with knowledge that people wouldn't have had.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote