View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008   #195
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

I did give and accept that MS was the guy our FOs targeted.

1. He had the (limited) experience.
2. I agree with the thinking of trying to get things done as much as you can before the draft.
3. Kolb was not in the WCO a big chunk of the time.

But there still remains the fact that our FOs were sticking their neck out. Their job could be on the line with this single acquisition. The money we paid.

Therefore, I proposed an alternative.
1. Get Garcia (or some veteran QB) and draft a guy you think you can build for the future.
2. I would have been OK to just go with Sage (we were not going to have a "great" shot contending anyway). The main thing is to find a franchise QB.

Is MS the guy? Maybe!
It wasn't a sure thing when we traded for Matt.
It's not a sure thing now.
Even with a 100% healthy MS.
And how much did we pay for all these uncertainties?

My alternative was Kolb.
It makes quite a bit of sense when you talk both financially and potential-wise.
I never said Kolb is a cinch.
But Andy Reid is no stupid HC when it comes to QB.

What you may not realize is that even in Kolb's worst game (his freshman year against Michigan), he played pretty well, one of the very few bright spots on the team, despite what the numbers show.
If only the rest of the team can play as well as that freshman.

You may not realize that Kolb went through 3 LTs in his senior year and still ended up with 30 TDs vs 4 Ints. The story it tells is that even as he got pressured (forty something sacks if I remember correctly), he did not make the stupid mistake of just trying to force a play that would result in an Int.

You just ask Fred Bennett how fun it was playing against Kolb.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote