View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008   #194
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It's more than mere speculation.
As I said, if you think a guy will feature into your future at QB, you do whatever you think it will take.

With the Falcons having pick #39 and #41, they were a strong candidate to get a QB to replace Schaub.

And then you have Miami sitting at #40 and the Vikings at #44

Just because "certain people" don't know what the GMs had in mind, does not mean that a team did not consider to draft a certain player. They do that all the time.

If the Raiders can be patient with Jamarcus Russell, so can the Eagles with Kolb.

On the other hand, there are some people who likes Brady Quinn, and there some who would not want him for anything (I'm among them.)

But the fact is we can't be sure what the GM and the HC have in mind on draft day.

Take the Dolphins for example, they took John Beck in the second last year, but still drafted Chad Henne this year. And yeah, I believe Miami has a lot of other needs.
Those are all extremely different examples from the Eagles.

The Dolphins had an FO change and taking Henne was not unexpected. A lot of people didn't take Brady Quinn even though they could have used a QB and the team that ended up taking him didn't expect Derek Anderson or Charlie Frye to be their long term answer. The Raiders QB situation was a mess, they didn't have a solid starter and Jamarcus Russell still started some games for them.

The Eagles still had their franchise QB and he was still relatively young. To use a 2nd round draft choice on a guy that's going to be your backup for a few years and may not have the skills to even do that well, was extremely risky and... weird. They're now stuck with a problem because they're almost obliged to get rid of McNabb soon and Kolb probably won't be an upgrade.

But we're drifting from what I consider the original point. And that is that us making a move for Kolb (which assumes that our staff even liked him which is a huge assumption) and trading to get in front of the Eagles to get him simply wouldn't have happened. If our FO wanted Kolb, they wouldn't have thought they needed to go up to get him.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote