View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008   #187
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
I know, but I've heard these arguments before, and they don't hold true.

Garcia never had the Texans as a consideration. He visited Oakland, then flew to Tampa and signed. You can't sign someone who doesn't want to play here.
While it's true that Garcia had made such a statement, it's also true that Kubiak has made this following statement when asked if no deal can get done, whether the team will be content to stay with Carr as its starting quarterback.

"That's our approach," Kubiak said. "We all have to get better. David has to get better. He's part of that. We all have to get a lot better, including this coach right here. And I have to continue working with David. He's the key to our franchise getting better."

And Rick Smith has made this following statement:
"David is our starting quarterback. We're excited about him playing in his offense."

It's not that difficult to make a case that it was all business.
The Texans FOs were posturing to try to get a trade for Carr.
Garcia and his agent were most likely trying to lure the Texans into a bidding war with the Bucs.

Considering that Garcia almost became a Texans the year before to back up Carr (for less money), it is inconceivable that Garcia would turn down at least double the $$$ "just because for some odd reason, he just doesn't like playing for the Texans".

If he considers the lowly Raiders, his agent definitely can't say that Garcia wanted to be on a winning team.

His contract with the Bucs was incentive ladden such that there was talk the Bucs purposefully hold him out of one or two late game(s) to keep him from achieving the bonus. And it's business again this season that Garcia came out to say that he wants the club to restructure his contract, and I can't blame him for doing that.

Quote:
Prior to the Schaub trade, the Texans had the #39 overall pick (2nd round). The Eagles selected Kevin Kolb with the #36 pick. He would have been off the board for the Texans. Could the Texans have moved up? Maybe. But, the Eagles had moved back to the 2nd round after trading their first round pick to Dallas (#26). If the Eagles had known the Texans were interested in Kolb, they could have just sat back at #26 and taken him.

Here's the way I look at the deal. The Texans could have Matt Schaub and Amobi Okoye. Or Brady Quinn, Justin Blalock, and Fred Davis (the two players selected with the Texans 2nd round picks). I'll take Schaub and Okoye everyday of the week. Especially, on Sundays
If you're going for a franchise QB, wouldn't you do what it takes to get the guy?

The Texans did think so with the trade to obtain MS.
His worth ends up around the #22 or #23 pick (our two second rounder and a swap down in the first.)

Let's say the Texans can see that the Eagles need to find a QB and they have the #26 pick.
Our 2nd in 07counts for 510 points on the trade value chart.
Our 2nd in 08 (with the Texans "expected to finish in the bottom third or even bottom fourth"- which we will project out to be the equivalent of a high third rounder in 07, somewhere between #65 or 265 points to #74 or 220 points.
At the low end 510+220=730 points.
That's between a #24 and #25

What more, since the Falcons seems to think that need to be at #8 to get Anderson, we can swap first round pick with them to obtain a fourth, which we can use to sweeten the deal, or keep it ourselves.

Oh well, I hope I make some sense, and present that scenario as a viable alternative.
Obviously, it didn't happen!
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote