View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where do you rank our WRs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I've noticed this offseason that some people think our WRs are among the best in the league as a unit. But i've also noticed just as many people think that outside of AJ we are thin at WR due to lack of a true # 1 and some may even say true # 2 WRs.

Are some Texans fans overrating the WRs outside of AJ? I'm positive that has happened, goes with the territory of being a Homer for your team.

Are some "NFL" fans underrating this unit? I think that's true as well. Sure Walter/Davis aren't # 1 WR threats, but I think both are capable # 2 WRs even though they hadn't shown it in their career's up until last season around the time AJ got injured.

What's more I think we've got a nice project player in Jacoby who may turn out being a stud opposite of AJ at # 2. Throw in a solid posession guy like David Anderson and that looks like a pretty solid unit.

I rank our WRs # 6 in the league right now. The Pats, Colts, Bengals (with Ocho), Packers and Cardinals have an edge imo but I think by the end of this season they will break the top 5. This, to me, is our strongest unit and I couldn't believe I actually took the time to argue with Cowboy fans at work who thought the Texans needed to draft a WR in the 1st round!!!
let's hope Jacoby can make steady progress like Reggie Wayne has - he only caught 27 passes for 345 yds and no TDs his rookie year. The next year he upped his totals to 49/716/4. His catches have increased every year he's been in the league. If JJ can make continuous progress like that, and AJ and KW stay healthy we'll have a WR corps that can match up with any in the league.

Given that our offense is run-first and at least three of those teams are pass-first - four if you count the Pack - that run 3-wide sets much more than we do, I don't see us putting up the passing numbers they will. That doesn't mean our guys aren't as good, its just that our offense isn't designed to put up gaudy receiving numbers.

Also, it remains to be seen if Rodgers will be as effective as Favre in using that young receiving talent. The Pack may drop out of the top five themselves.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote