View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coast to Coast: Houston Texans (in depth write up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
WOW.....so one single sentence in a article that happens to spend 4 paragraphs bashing our team = a positive review. We're talking about a article that spends a total of 12 paragraphs on our team which includes 4, bashing the orgin name of the Texans as a filler. (Yep great "filler", I could log on to any message board and write up a better preview of their season) And incase you ask, the reason why I call it a "filler", is because this guy was completely mislead and wrong on almost everything he said. I'd be willing to take a .......
While you might not have enjoyed his review, I don't think reading the entire article and then just saying that he bashed the Texans the entire article isn't really genuine. I'll pull some of the stuff I liked the most:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carlson

Defensively, they're still a few players away from being a dominant unit, though they do have some studs. Particularly Mario Williams, the defensive end taken ahead of the Bush-You-Can-Support in the 2006 draft. Williams' rookie year he was bothered by plantar fasicitis - and as I picked up this same injury this spring playing basketball in my socks (don't ask) I can tell you it makes putting stress on your foot very difficult. Last season was a different story, as he racked up 14 sacks, and established himself as a force. They have three first-round picks up front, and last year's Amobi Okoye, looks like a keeper. He was very raw, but playing next to Williams, he ought to make an impact this year.
I feel that's pretty on the money, whether you like the way he put it or not.

Quote:
But the big story was when they surprised everyone by using their first draft pick on Virginia Tech tackle Duane Brown. Few draftniks had Brown rated as a first round pick, but he was certainly the best one left standing after the run on tackles in round one, and he is very much suited to Gibbs' style of play. The Texans had certainly targeted him; they could have stayed with their 18th pick and taken Jeff Otah or Sam Baker, but they picked up an extra third and sixth by trading down with Baltimore to 26, and taking Brown then. A converted TE, he reminds me a lot of Matt Lepsis, who played RT in Barcelona and then in Denver, eventually moving to the left side. Brown is apparently being slotted right in at LT, which is their point of greatest need, with Winston set on the right, and with some work he could become their left tackle of the long-term future. If Spencer is still the guy who looked so good in 2006, this might be redundant, but it's a sign of Kubiak and GM Rick Smith's confidence that they are willing to spend that pick on the future. Since Smith is the NFL's youngest GM and just signed a four-year deal means he probably has a future.
I think that's a pretty fair assesment of our Duane Brown pick, and it's definitely not bashing it like most other sites have.

Quote:
Neither has special abilities, however, which is why they used a third-round pick on Steve Slaton, who had a great college career at West Virginia, but is really a third-down sized back who's pumped himself up a bit. Slaton's style, run from a spread offense in college, ought to fit Houston's, and he can catch the ball out of the backfield. In college, coach Rich Rodriquez used to make them watch Bronco game films, which is probably more than Travis Henry ever did in Denver.
Something I didn't know about Steve Slaton.

Again, you don't have to like the article, but I figured I'd paste some of the parts which are more complimentary.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote