View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008   #178
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
See, I have a problem with the "win" Schaub received vs. Miami. This is the game where I didn't feel so good about Schaub.
GP, earlier in this thread (post #105), you talked about how Schaub did not "earn a win" against Carolina. I had some vehement disagreement with that (post #112). I'm taking the above quote to mean that you actually intended to refer to Miami rather than Carolina.

If that's the case, I agree with you that it wasn't a really good game for Schaub even though he threw for nearly 300 yards. Frankly, it was a poor performance by everyone except Kris Brown. The running game went nowhere, penalties killed drives, Jason Taylor treated our backfield like his own private dance floor, and the defense allowed Cleo Lemen (?!?) to drive up and down the field. As pointed out earlier, we only managed to get in the red zone twice.

But when the game was there to be won, Schaub drove us 60 yards in less than ninety seconds after we were pinned to our 3. I see that game as a pitcher getting a win despite not having his best stuff. Schaub and company responded very well the next week early on at Jacksonville. We dominated the first 20 minutes of that game, but Andre Davis' terrible goalline fumble gave us little to show for it. Then Jacksonville strung together a long TD drive, a successful onside recovery, a FG drive to close the half and then another long TD drive to start the second half and the rout was on while our offense sat helplessly on the sideline.

Still, what matters is what's happening this year, not last. There was certainly good and bad to the play of both our QBs, but I think the coaches decided some time ago that Sage was not more than an very good backup QB. Schaub did not tear up the world in his first season, but he had his moments. He didn't do so hot his first year as a sometime-starter at UVA, but he took a quantum leap forward the next season. My money is on him pulling that trick again.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote