View Single Post
Old 05-02-2004   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel like we saw some very good improvement last season so I don't know if I'm going to completely go along with a "now or never" mindset in evaluating the team this year. I'd like to see some more consistency obviously and I'd like to see both halves of our team healthy and functioning at the same time for once too.

In 2002 we had a very nice defensive unit that kept us in games we had absolutely no business in. That defense kept the Texans from being the laughing stock that almost all expansion teams start out as. In 2003 the offense took some of that load off of their shoulders but wasn't ready for the entire burden to be shifted their way yet. When the defense went south due to injury the offense wasn't ready to take up all the slack but we still won 5 games.

This season I think that if our defense has injuries consistent with what we went through last season (please no, please) then I think our offense should be ready to carry the team. They might not be ready to carry them to more than 6-7 wins but I think they should be capable of that.

Last year you still had two major skill positions filled by rookies so keep that in mind. You had our starting quarterback miss significant time as well. We integrated two or three new offensive linemen also. If things were a little up and down last season then I can see very good reasons why that was the case.

I just watched the Tennessee and Indianapolis games (week's 15 and 16) today after making copies for people and that was not an offense lacking improvement. They looked good against a couple of playoff bound teams.

Expect better because we're going to get it. They looked to me on those two games like they were starting to gel.