View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008   #145
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
What interests me is a sense I get that perhaps we are over-valuing the worth of a second-round pick. I think the reason for this lies in the fact that the Texans have had exactly one second-round pick in the last five drafts. But, as it happens, we knocked that lone pick right out of the park: DeMeco Ryans. So, in some folks' minds, Schaub cost us two DeMeco's--if that's the metric, even I (the biggest Schaub homer on this board) agree that we paid too much for Matt.
I would suggest that we are overvalue our own players. Look back in the past. Even now. Lets make some assumptions.

First of all. IMHO if Schaub isn't the answer, then the answer lies in college somewhere. In other words, I don't think management thinks that Sage is superbowl quality. Schaub may or may not be, but Sage isn't. That means that I am assuming, based on the fact that we had Sage on our roster and still went and spent two picks on Schaub, that Sage isn't our QB of the future.

Furthermore I am assuming that if Schaub goes down for a significant period of time, that we're in trouble this year. In order to make a serious run at the playoffs, we're going to have to have a) Schaub stay healthy and b) Schaub play better than he or Sage played last year.

Given those two assumptions, which I know there are those that disagree with. But give me those two assumptions for the sake of arguement. If you don't think that Sage is the long term solution look who was available in the second round after pick 17. I'll finish this later gotta take care of something but there are several guys available at that position that coudl help us more than a backup QB who I don't believe is the future. Including 2 QBs.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote