View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008   #44
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Scout.com prediction Texans 6-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
When you bold everything, it reminds me the folks who have to capslock everything, why is that? Oh and then when you do want to emphesize something and have it all caps it is not noticed for the most part.

If my understanding is correct, if Bob McNair would have waited a year to do this extention Rick Smith would have been a FA at the time or very close to it by months. You say he has had some good picks but also ones you do not like, I am curious to which of the 6th round picks is it you do not like? Which FA pickup is it that Rick Smith screwed up on? What guy off the scrap heap did he not find that has been at least somewhat productive, especially with all the injuries? Hell he found Maddoxx and Demps sitting at home not doing Diddly Poo and they have been very big contributers, Demps is even an upgrade over what we had.
Wo there partner, Bold letters shouldn't offend you just as your non bold letters don't offend me. Calm down a bit.

Your acting like I am bashing Rick Smith because I don't agree with him getting an extension. The fact of the matter is that Smith took over a team that was 2-14 and easily could have gone 1-15 if not for that Frisco game where there was a funny kick at the end. What did you expect the team to do after that, go 0-16? They had no where to go but up. Of course their record was going to get better, and it wasn't any dramatic increase either. They went 6-10. The next year they went 8-8. It was a decent increase in record. I'd say it was what was expected. It was certainly not an over achievement by any means. At this point Smith has done a decent job, but nothing crediting him for an extension this early. Sorry, but I put expectations a litte bit higher before I committ to one guy like that especially after how long we held on to Casserly, Capers, and Palmer. We all saw how that one went. Two years is to early to give any GM an extension unless he's taken a nothing team to an AFC championship or a SB. Three years maybe, but it is far to early to completely believe that Smith is the guy that will move and pick the right chess pieces around to bring a SB. I'm not saying he can't, but I'm not buying that he can either until I see more from him. And please stop with the whole idea that Smith would be leaving the team right away because there is no consensus around the league at all that Smith is this highly coveted GM that every team is dying to get their hands on. Not at all. He's respected, but he does have some reputation yet of one of the top GM's. I don't think the Texans would have a problem re-signing him at all. That is if the team continues to improve. Most likely they will, but again that is no guarantee. The Texans team that went 7-9 and everyone thought they were on their way up, and personally I wasn't sold on Carr, I hated the offense, and I couldn't stand Casserly. I wasn't that surprised when they went backwards at the time. So, I'm not so quick to put complete trust in a guy after two years. Again, there hasn't been any over achievements so there is no reason why I should. I hope he does become a great GM for a long time, but hope is all I can put in him right now. Hopefully that hope will turn into complete trust and confidence, but I need to see more longevity of success before I'm willing to agree that he needed an extension this early. Hopefully it was the right decision.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote