View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008   #124
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Wow, by reading this post you'd think this is Minnesota or something. Seriously you act like Houston is taking the field with Kyle Boller.

Lighten up, both our QBs last year did a pretty good job. We have TWO quality QBs and last year was really their first solid year of starting experience so regardless of who we go with BOTH OF THEM still have room for improvement.

Another thing, I don't like to look back with the mindset "gee we could've had two 2nd round picks", because you don't know how those picks would've turned out. As long as we're getting talent back for picks that we give up in a trade I'm happy. Also the Schaub trade really only cost us one 2nd rounder, because with two 2nd picks.......we did get a player "with talent" back.

I mean, do you think people are questioning the Browns for trading away all those picks for Brady Quinn now that Derek Anderson came out of nowhere......no, because when you have a need, you fill it. At the time, we had a need for a new QB and we filled it........as long as my FO is filling needs on this team, I'll be happy and won't keep looking back with a "woulda shoulda coulda" attitude...........especially when they keep plucking gems out of the later rounds.
Good post and a rep coming for you.

What interests me is a sense I get that perhaps we are over-valuing the worth of a second-round pick. I think the reason for this lies in the fact that the Texans have had exactly one second-round pick in the last five drafts. But, as it happens, we knocked that lone pick right out of the park: DeMeco Ryans. So, in some folks' minds, Schaub cost us two DeMeco's--if that's the metric, even I (the biggest Schaub homer on this board) agree that we paid too much for Matt.

But the fact is that Demeco is the exception rather than the rule for second-round picks. Certainly, you expect a good player in the second round, but to think that we gave up sure-fire future rookies-of-the-year/Pro-Bowlers is ascribing way too much worth to the pick.

Of course, it could also be that we are a bit battle-scarred over giving away/wasting second-rounders for the likes of Tony Hollings, Jason Babin and Philip Buchanon.

If Matt plays like Kubiak believes he is capable, then this will be the best trade the Texans have made so far.

Last edited by Hooston Texan; 06-17-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: grammar
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote