View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008   #114
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I had to punch out a fast post and leave the house for awhile. About 5 minutes after leaving the house, I already realized I didn't communicate what I was trying to say. So much so, that I didn't even read the replies because I knew (from what I typed) that I was not on top of my game.

Back now, and here's what I am saying:

I don't think Schaub is going to become the world beater that a lot of you have desired him to be. I don't condemn (entirely) the Texans' trade for him. They needed a guy, and he was the best option at the time. But you do have to think "What could we have done with two 2nd rounders the last two years?" That's TWO starter-quality players for a team who has a lot of holes to fill in terms of just getting some t-a-l-e-n-t on the field.

And Sage coming in and doing a manageable job in Schaub's place...well, there's not a fan here who hasn't thought (at least once) "Man, two 2nd rounders for two years." Schaub, IMO, might just be about as equal to Sage as a QB can get right now. Sage didn't cost us two consecutive 2nd rounders. And in fact, a lot of fans, leading up to the draft, wanted to trade Sage away for ONE 2nd rounder. (shakes head in wonderment).

Injuries have clouded the water, and I get that. But those injuries make me think that the same result is going to happen--A woozy Schaub on the sideline with the cap pulled low, and Sage at the controls. Don't even act like it's not possible, because it happened more than once last year. And those defenses we face? Someone's going to get to him at some point, it's only a matter of time.

Color me un-inspired about our two QBs. In fact, it's got me hallucenating about Shane Boyd. And all I've seen of him is a preseason game in Arizona.

Point blank: The best Houston Texans QB to take the field is not currently on the roster yet. I'm a Texans fan, I'll be watching every Sunday, but I'm not going to pin my hopes on those two QBs.

I like FiloGirl's statement about letting the best QB win the job. Unfortunately it's not how it works around here. In Houston, if you have the higher paycheck...you're the starting QB. Makes no sense to me, but it's how it has traditionally worked in Houston. Competition is only good for all other positions; the QB job is always "awarded" and never fought for.

And that's hindering our team, IMO.
Wow, by reading this post you'd think this is Minnesota or something. Seriously you act like Houston is taking the field with Kyle Boller.

Lighten up, both our QBs last year did a pretty good job. We have TWO quality QBs and last year was really their first solid year of starting experience so regardless of who we go with BOTH OF THEM still have room for improvement.

Another thing, I don't like to look back with the mindset "gee we could've had two 2nd round picks", because you don't know how those picks would've turned out. As long as we're getting talent back for picks that we give up in a trade I'm happy. Also the Schaub trade really only cost us one 2nd rounder, because with two 2nd picks.......we did get a player "with talent" back.

I mean, do you think people are questioning the Browns for trading away all those picks for Brady Quinn now that Derek Anderson came out of nowhere......no, because when you have a need, you fill it. At the time, we had a need for a new QB and we filled it........as long as my FO is filling needs on this team, I'll be happy and won't keep looking back with a "woulda shoulda coulda" attitude...........especially when they keep plucking gems out of the later rounds.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 06-16-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote