View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008   #105
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well you are blatantly overlooking a pretty obvious factor--the loss of a top 5 in the league WR. Remind us when that happened?--oh yeah, end of game 2. Weaker and less effective huh?--oh look at the coincidence. AJ back and Schaub goes 21 of 33 for 294 yards 8.9 ypa 2 TD's 0 INT's and a QB rating of 112.3. The facts don't agree with your perception.
Sage worked with a depleted oline that had its players shuffled all over the line, Sage was worse off with the pass protection he had in the games he played as QB than at the start of the year when Schaub was lighting it up for those first two games with a fully-loaded line, backfield, and WR unit. So don't insert the "Andre Johnson clause" into this debate, please. Poor Schaub cannot get it done unless AJ is in the game? Boo hoo. Sage didn't have Ahman Green nor the healthy line that Schaub had earlier on. Boo hoo. Makes no matter to me.

And if our QB is only as good as long as AJ is on the field, then that's a huge issue all by itself. David Carr looked pretty damn good, too, from time to time when he was tossing up jump balls to AJ for a few years. Andre Johnson makes ANY QB look better. Be sure to reference the bolded part in any reply, please. It's sorta' a huge component to this debate.

You've used the "AJ clause" before IIRC, and it sounds good on the surface...but it doesn't justify/rationalize the fact that Schaub looked less and less like the QB he was in the first game. Heck, the SECOND game was less stellar than the first (even if only a little bit). Each game, just looking at him, seemed like he was sinking a little. Only a spectacular second half vs. Panthers saved him in that game--In all actuality, he had earned a loss in that game if we set aside the homer in all of us. A Panthers special team fumble and resulting Texans TD saved that game. Give Marciano's crew the "W" in that one, IMO.

By the time of his season-ending injury, Schaub was shaky and just having a hard time stringing together the sort of game that he is PAID to have--The Chargers game was a complete joke and Schaub looked awful from the first snap. The Miami game was a telling game, IMO, because he looked good between the 20s but he looked unsure of what to do near the red zone. Kris Brown saved THAT game, that's for sure. What should have been a blow out, turned into a squeaker--Show me a good red zone possession by Schaub in that game. I don't think there is one. I was begging for someone to break a long run or catch for a TD because it was obvious that Schaub was not going to punch it into the end zone from the 20. And this is against MIAMI. Not New England. M-i-a-m-i. Yikes.

Obviously, you think Schaub is better. I won't even say that Sage is better because I don't think he is. I honestly think neither QB is going to get us to the next step. Schaub is a lot better than David Carr, and maybe fractionally better than Sage.

To me, considering all things, we have two QBs who are pretty equal in what was done last season. One more year of it, and I am predicting fans will desire the Texans FO to chase a top draft pick QB or go after an even higher-profile QB than what Schaub was in Atlanta at the time.

Sage has every right to scratch his head. He did a good enough job last season to at least be included in the conversation of "who should the starting QB be?" Competition is good, but not for the QB job. Why?