View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008   #67
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think you're letting a couple of bad plays in the red zone influence your opinion WAY too much. Early in the season, Matt had a couple of questionable throws. After he tried to force one against the Panthers, he got a little reticent and that hesitation look like it caused a turnover against the Colts (after Jacoby's great punt return.)

But overall, he could have been better and I expect him to be better but I think he was far from "abysmal."
And then in the Chargers game, Schaub threw back-to-back INTs (or it was at least on back-to-back drives) to the same guy because he was forcing the throw--The throws, IIRC, were nowhere near being a completion...with the second INT a very easy one which had no chance from the time the bal was snapped.

This was after Schaub, in the Panthers game, told Kubiak he "wouldn't do that again." After that sort of emphatic promise, you'd think he would have been less likely to throw one up for grabs (let alone two in a row).

People on this board are saying "Schaub's the man," and some are saying "Well, hold on a second..." and some are saying "Boy, I am sure glad we have Sage as a quality backup," and some are saying "He's a great stand-in, but he's had his chances" and so the jury is tilted toward Schaub thus far.

I haven't changed much on where I stand: "Who the HELL is our QB of tomorrow, because I see two backups trying to be the starter."

The stats are about the same (eerily close, actually) except for Sage being better in a category or two but Schaub being better in a different category or two than Sage (I am not going to research this out again, it's not worth the time). So...all we have left is that Schaub has "a better ceiling" and Sage has had his chances.

I just want somebody to solidify the role. And be a franchise QB. You don't see this issue on the Colts, or the Steelers, or the Chargers, or the Patriots, nor on several other teams. Those are teams that you KNOW who "the guy" is and that he's not endanger of being uprooted anytime soon.

Conversely, we're better off than the Bears--They seem to not even have ONE decent QB who can lead a team in even a somewhat decent fashion.

So, all I got is that I rambled on this topic and pretty much didn't get anywhere new with it. So, when does training camp start?...because I am bored like everyone else. Obviously.