View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008   #45
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage want a chance to be a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
If you define "NFL starter" as being one of the 32 best QB's in the NFL, then I strongly believe Sage qualifies. That said, nobody gets excited about having the 27th best QB in the league. If you define it as having the capability of taking a team to a Super Bowl title, than probably not. (Please note that not actually winning a Super Bowl doesn't mean someone didn't have the capability to do it as with Moon, Marino, and Fouts to name three.)

Schaub may or may not have that capability. We really haven't had the opportunity to find out yet. One partial year gives us some cause for concern and some cause for optimism, but no answers yet.

Right now, I believe Sage's true value lies in being an insurance policy while we find out more about Schaub, but I believe the answer at QB for the Texans is either Schaub, or is not currently on the roster.
Ok. Let me define my position further then. I want a starter who has the ability to lead a quality team to the SB win. Note I said LEAD. Moon Fouts and Marino all had the talent. Moon, Marino and Fouts were all capable of taking a team to the top, they just didn't have the supporting cast or they had something go DRASTICALLY wrong (buddy ryan going into a prevent defense with 12 mins left int he THIRD quarter for example). The talent in this league is so watered down right now that you're right he is one of the 32 best QBs in the league. But he's not a QUALITY starter. I think you and I are pretty much in agreement there. He is somewhere between the 25th and 32nd best qb in the league right now, which really says more about the talent (or lack there of) in the league than it does his ability to come in and start.

As for Schaub, you're exactly right. Thus far we don't know if he can be a starter in this league. We've seen flashes. All indications are he can. He and Sage didn't perform that differently last year but the difference and what puts Schaub ahead of Sage in my book is that Schaub hasn't had the chance to prove he's not a starter. Schaub had flashes of brilliance and flashes of DC in him last year. I expect that from a 3rd year player on a new team with a new system. I don't expect that from a 6th or 7th year starter who's been on the team 2 years and played a decent amount. Its a wait and see game, and the Texans know that.

To sum it up. Sage could start for a handful of teams in this league. If he did, they would still be bottom feeders. Schaub has shown flashes of brilliance. He has shown flashes of disaster. We need to find out with Schaub and either commit to him as the starter for the future, or figure out he's not what we thought he was and move on. FTR I think he's what we thought he was.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote