Thread: DeMeco Chat
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeMeco Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Most of the ZBS when incorporated into the passing game (I read, they call it Zone Locking) involve shorter routes. The nature of the scheme lends itself well and it helps if you have a QB that can make a quick read, and has a quick release (MS is better than Sage in this regard.)

The danger is in the drop back pass as I've given this a fair amount of thoughts. I don't know if I can elaborate it well enough, but i will try:

1. I would assume that the flow of the O-linemen more often will be to the weak side (the left), so that our TE on the strong side (the opposite side) can pick up the LDE. If we have the FB in there, he could help, or he could take on any extra defender close to the LOS on the strong side.

2. If the flow of the rampagin elephants (as Pitts referred the Olinemen in the Zone Locking scheme) is to the strong side (the right), the RDE was automatically optioned (left open) as our LT takes on the RDT.
We can have the FB faking a counter play and take on the RDE, a difficult task.
Otherwise, the QB has to be very mobile and quick in his drop.
He should be prepare to get rid of the ball when necessary, and get ready to land on his behind. Because the RDE trailing the play would see it developed.

3. Even assuming that most of the defenders bite on the fake, there's always the chance that an extra defender close to the LOS can see it and wouldn't go for the fake (besides the fact that one of the DE most likely won't).

4. Sometimes the defense dictates itself. The more defenders they have crouching the LOS, the more difficult to try the drop pass with a run fake.

5. It's also more difficult on third and long, when the defense decide to blitz.

Exhibits: Texans/Broncos game: Mario sacked Cutler, I don't know if you want your QB on his back too often like that.
Texans/Titans game: Finnegan sacked MS, causing the knee injury.
Both were on 1st and 10.
If the defense is crowding the line or the "box" would not the QB audible to another play?