View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008   #56
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans nearing decision on Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Yes, he started a couple of games. Many fans had him going to the pro bowl after a couple of good pre-season performances against mostly second stringers. I guess every untested player has potential to be a franchise player, but in reality he was no more than a rookie starting at LT who had his moments, both good and bad. The play he got hurt on was an example of one of his weaknesses. He didn't move when the ball was snapped; that's why he was pushed back into the backfield. Sometimes he was very slow off the line.

I feel bad for Spencer; I've heard he's a decent guy. Lots of decent guys get cut though.

Using a roster spot on him would make him an expensive long shot. The Texans may have learned a lesson with carrying Mathis for so long. He even has proven performance, but injuries were to be a factor with him.

An overstatement possibly before, but this also sounds like you are trying to let this one down as easy as possible on the other end. It was mainly Kubiak who did all the hyping about Spencer, which in turn ignited the fans. Kubiak was very very high on Spencer and spoke often about it. The year Spencer got hurt Kubiak stated later it was the lowest point of the season for the organization. Huge blow to the team, its future, and obviously Spencers development. From the sound of it Kubiak had very big plans for this kid. I wonder if you ask Kubiak now about what he thought he might have on his hands back then as a player for the future.... I am not so sure a Franchise type LT wasnt in his head somewhere.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote