Thread: Alex Brink
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alex Brink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
As far as picking Brink in round 7, somebody (can't remember who) on this board made an observation at the time of the draft that I think was very insightful. With Gray and Rosenfels as #'s 2 & 3, what UDFA who's got any chance at all of making it in the NFL was going to sign with the Texans? We would have been able to get training camp fodder, but probably nothing more than that. Drafting Brink in the last round ensured that we'd have a practice squad eligible QB who Kubiak and Smith felt had at least a semi-realistic shot at being an NFL player. Taking a late round QB was probably the only way that was going to happen in '08. When the '09 season rolls around, and Gray's contract has expired, and Rosenfels is either dealt or in the final year of his contract, it will be nice to have seen Brink practice for a year, and have some idea of what he might become.
The current "project guy", Shane Boyd, is out of P/S eligibility. So unless Boyd outshines Gray in T/C, he's gone. Brink is the P/S guy for this coming year - maybe the next two - assuming he slips through waivers.

And I'll confess that, on draft day, I was confused that we picked Brink up until I saw that Boyd was out of P/S eligibility this year. Then it made sense to me.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote