Thread: Alex Brink
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alex Brink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I don't see why some people have really bashed the pick. Sage's contract is up next year, assuming he's not traded, and Gray only signed a one year deal. Beyond that our backup QB is up in the air past next year. why not get a guy in the fold who at least will have an idea what the offense looks like and how it runs.

I forgot who nailed it a while back but the way things look with this staff with the later round picks they're looking for team leaders and experienced guys who can just play. I'm not saying he's going to light up the league but next year if we can get a guy in the 7th round who is a solid 3rd QB that's not bad.
As far as picking Brink in round 7, somebody (can't remember who) on this board made an observation at the time of the draft that I think was very insightful. With Gray and Rosenfels as #'s 2 & 3, what UDFA who's got any chance at all of making it in the NFL was going to sign with the Texans? We would have been able to get training camp fodder, but probably nothing more than that. Drafting Brink in the last round ensured that we'd have a practice squad eligible QB who Kubiak and Smith felt had at least a semi-realistic shot at being an NFL player. Taking a late round QB was probably the only way that was going to happen in '08. When the '09 season rolls around, and Gray's contract has expired, and Rosenfels is either dealt or in the final year of his contract, it will be nice to have seen Brink practice for a year, and have some idea of what he might become.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote