View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008   #48
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sporting News says "Mario's a 'Hit'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Quite a few high profile, "can't miss" DEs didn't get double digit sacks last year. Jevon Kearse didn't. Julius Peppers didn't. Strahan didn't. Are they suddenly busts?

Let the naysayers come.
Strahan had Umenyiora, Tuck and others to bring the heat to the quarterback. Peppers got freaking killed by his fans and media last year when he didn't produce. Jevon Kearse hasn't produced, or been thought of as, a top flight DE for awhile now.

Pretty much, all of this Mario hype means if he fails, he's going to get slaughtered by lots of people from all sides this year. Which isn't too much different than when he was a rookie, but, it still can effect somebody's play. If I had my druthers, I would rather the Sporting News, or ESPN or Sports Illustrated would wait just one year or so before declaring somebody the next big thing, but I know the sports journalism world operates on a "whomever can guess the best wins" sort of angle. I just wouldn't want a young player like Mario let a lot of people get in his ear telling him he's the greatest, and then he starts to believe it rather than proving it.

Just so that nobody mistakes me for a hater, I think Mario will have another really good year this year. I don't know if he'll match 14 sacks, but I think double digit sacks is doable again.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote