Thread: I love speed.
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I love speed.

[quote=Hooston Texan;926609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

They don't mean running--blocking is the key. The RB is the quarterback's personal protector against the blitz. If Slaton cannot read and appropriately react to a blitz, then our QBs will get killed. And by "reacting to a blitz", I mean sticking your nose directly in the path of a lethally fast 240-pound linebacker. I don't care how good a runner he is; at this level, if he cannot pick up the blitz, we cannot afford to play him.

Fortunately, Slaton has the benefit of a teammate who is one of the all-time greats at pass protection. Brett Farve owes much of his late-career durability to Ahman Green's prowess at keeping angry linebackers off him. Hopefully, Slaton can learn all of Green's tricks.
Just curious, how often will we have a one back set? Did we not often employ a full back on many of our running plays? Will there be a time that a blitz will be called? Certainly. However, with a better O line and Schaub's ability to get rid of ball, hopefully there will be infrequent need for SS to block a LB. I'd be surprised Gibbs went along with the selection of Slaton if he thought his QB would be Carred.