Thread: OTAs
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008   #54
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: OTA - DAY 5

Some good words of HT.com. A swoop cheer?

Quote:
WR Jacoby Jones

..(on how things have changed from his rookie season) “I’m more comfortable. I know how to practice now, and the game’s a lot slower than when I first walked in the door.”....

LB DeMeco Ryans
(on the linebackers’ “swoop” cheer) “That is our playmaker breakdown. Every day we break it down on playmakers because, as linebackers, we feel like we have to be big-time playmakers out there on the field.”

...(on the progress of DT Amobi Okoye) “Amobi will be ready this year. He’ll step up and he’ll play a lot. He had a lot on his shoulders last year, coming in. I think he tried to do a little too much, and we have a lot of guys on our defensive line rotating in and out so he doesn’t have to do as much. He can go in and work and get somebody to come in and work for him. Keeping fresh guys in there is going to help him out and help the whole defensive line out a lot.”

...(on LB Zac Diles) “Zac’s doing good. It’s a different role for him, a different position. He had to come in and learn a different position, which is kind of difficult. In our linebacker group, you have to be able to play all three positions because you never know how many linebackers you are going to take in the game. You have to be able to play all three positions. All of the guys are learning two positions, which makes them more versatile and makes us more deep as a unit. All of us are the same body type, so we don’t have a prototypical SAM linebacker. All of us can run and are athletic guys.”

...(on the importance of the pass rush) “We’re working on that more as a linebacker group. On the blitz, we are working on our pass rush a lot more. We’re just cutting things down to where we get good at certain things. With our defensive line, Mario (Williams) is definitely getting better, coming off the ball a lot better. They’re going to have to put two on Mario, so that’s going to open up somebody else on the other side.”

QB Matt Schaub

...(on how hard it is to get in a rhythm offensively while rotating running backs) “I don’t think it’s too hard because (in) our running game, you should be able to plug anyone in there and the holes should be there and they should just all run the same. Some guys have a little more burst, obviously, and have a different running style, but otherwise, things are still the same. So no matter who we put in there, we have confidence in all of them that they can go in there and do the job.”

...(on WR Jacoby Jones) “Jacoby’s made a huge step. He’s more mature. He’s more comfortable in the system and knowing what his route adjustments are and what his footwork is and his splits and just everything. Last year, his head was spinning a little bit like any rookie’s would be, but he’s really on top of his stuff and he’s catching the ball. He’s confident in what he’s doing and having a great camp.”

(on if WR Jacoby Jones is more than a deep threat) “Oh, definitely. He’s more than just a deep threat. He’s got fast-twitch muscles and he can stop on a dime; he can come out of his breaks and he can catch the ball. He’s got a lot of athleticism.”

(on working with assistant head coach/offense Alex Gibbs) “It’s been great. I was with him for a few years there in Atlanta, so I know his coaching style, know what he expects and so it’s just been great to have him out here, a familiar voice from my past.”

(on if Gibbs is like a “mad scientist”) “I can see that. That’s actually a pretty good analogy. He is. But the thing is, he’s not cooking up new stuff. He just keeps re-cooking his old formulas up and they keep working, so everyone’s buying into it and we’re getting some production.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote