Thread: OTAs
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008   #45
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OTAs: Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Travis played much better last year and showed significant improvement. His play in the past hasn't warranted his selection in the top half of the 1st round. They say there's typically a 3 year learning curve for the DL until they really get the hang of things. I think TJ became a lot more comfortable with the defense this year and I think he'll continue to provide solid play. Not great by any means like we want, but I did see him play with more of a fire last year and seemed to be more places than he would be in the past. I don't think he'll ever make the pro bowl on our roster because he probably won't see the playing time it takes to get there. Okoye will and we'll have that run stuffer next to him instead of TJ (hopefully Okam pans out quickly).

I think at worst, TJ is a great back up to have behind Okoye. He's not what we need next to AO, so we should have a good rotation between the two with Okoye seeing the majority of the snaps.
TJ made a huge jump last year. I really expect him to have his best year this year. With the emergence of Wiliams and hopefully an improved Okoye, TJ will come into his own and this will be the year he warrants his first round selection. Like you said, there is a three year learning curve for DT's. Remember TJ got hurt his second year.

I sure hope people dont get down on Okam if he isnt the second coming of Gilbert Brown in his first year. Expectations already seem high. Remember like they say, there's typically a 3 year learning curve for the DL until they really get the hang of things.

Realistically TJ will get most of the snaps this year with Okam coming of the bench replacing Okoye in short yardage and goaline situations. I would really like to see Okoye move over to DE in those situations.

Last edited by mussop; 05-23-2008 at 01:10 PM.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote