View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008   #58
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's contract may get extended...

I think giving him the extension now is the right thing to do. Teams do the same with star players and I'm fairly certain I've seen other teams do it with coaches and GMS. It sends a good message to the players, coaches, and fans that the team is committed to building a winner. I don't think McNair wants to risk the chance of waiting until the season starts and have that to worry about.

The thing I've most been excited about is that Smith not only brings in players that will help the team and provide some competition for spots, but he isn't breaking the bank to do so. No Todd Wade signings. The team still has this year to clear out the Davis, Carr, etc. cap hits and then they are in great shape.