Thread: Okam
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008   #60
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Okam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think that's a good article to read and I really do like Okam. He could be such a perfect fit next to Okoye.

But... I really dislike when people/articles/commentators/etc. focus their entire thoughts or article on stats. Stats, stats, stats... you can only read into them SO much. Obviously, you want a player to have better stats than the next but there are SOOO many different variables that go into how a player got those stats (or didn't) that are rarely ever talked about.

I understand the point of the article was addressing how Okam had just as good or better stats than any other DT in the draft... and that's awesome, it really opened up my eyes about that- but I think you can find a lot of players like that at other positions too.

Take Colt Brennan for example, you could probably compare his passing stats and everything and he may come out very near the top of the QB's. Just using that as an example, I really don't feel like looking up the stats- but the point being is that most players on every team are asked to do different things and take on certain responsibilities to make THAT team the best it can be. A coach can easily put a player in a situation to go after the QB more which may in turn lead to more sacks, but if they have a better chance of winning by focusing on the run, then that's what is going to happen.

Not trying to take away anything from Okam because I absolutely love the pick and think he's a steal in the 5th round, but just trying to play devils advocate.
I can see where you are going with that but the difference is once Colt Brennan played against top college talent he looked like garbage paste and Okam played against top talent for the majority of the season. That being said, Okam didnt ever seem to dominate a game like Glenn Dorsey did so I dont think that there is much of a comparison between the two.

I will say this I think the Texans will put him in a position to succeed with the other talent that we already have on the line. And the line minus Okam wasnt the strength of the Texas defense.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote