Thread: Okam
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008   #58
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Okam

From the article above linked by Dan B.
This is a case where a high wonderlic score might have hurt a prospect. I can see the coaches & scouts thinking "We want D-linemen who react, not think." I realize that I'm pretty much alone in this opinion. I know the NFL disagrees with me. But I think the Wonderlic is worthless is determining a prospect's ability to play in the NFL.

"Lucky, you must have flunked the Wonderlic yourself. NFL playbooks are huge and complex, and the Wonderlic helps teams identify players who can absorb that information and utilize it in a timely manner."

OK, then give these guys a football test. The playbook doesn't have anything about two trains leaving Chicago. It has formations and plays. That there are teams out there using this test to make football decisions is just plain nutty. If I were a NFL GM, I'd use the test results to line the birdcage.

So I think Okam's Wonderlic score probably played into the notion that he lacked passion for the game. But, so did showing up at the combine in the 340 lb range. If Frank paid for one of these draft prep camps, he should ask for his money back.