View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008   #26
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's contract may get extended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
hey, you're the one who took offense where none was intended. Perhaps you shouldn't be so sensitive.

That's what was so confusing about your initial post.

My point in asking you to think about what you were saying is this: waiting to resign a GM that, we both agree, has done a much better job than his predecessor - with much less to work with - is contradictory to being a "big fan".

That's totally your call.

The draft isn't the whole picture. The fact that he managed to find some real F/A nuggets when our secondary was depleted and found Andre Davis, who ended up saving our bacon when A.J. went down. Also, Demps, Cochran, Maddox, Leach, were all hits from no where.

Those finds represent a sufficiently large data set for me to reward him with an extension.

Having said that, he hasn't been perfect. The Jordan Black signing, some would say the Ahman Green signing, were misses. We have yet to see how Jacque Reeves and Chaun Thompson will pan out.

Regarding how draft picks will turn out... Pundits say that as a general rule that it takes 2-3 years for a draft to bear real fruit. If you get your picks to significantly contribute, sooner than that, you had a helluva draft or your team sucked and all the old guard needed to go (see us after 2005 or KC this year). Yes, I know you said that, and I agree. The point here is, by the time you see what fruit his two drafts brought, Smith's contract will be up and he could be elsewhere.

So, on balance, the man has done good work. Give him an extension. There's no need to wait.

Fair enough

I'm always nice.
....even when youngsters make a weak attempt at a slam by calling me "old man". I intend to get a lot older.
I think you've argued for Smith's extension perfectly well and I like it. It makes me feel better about McNair trying to re-up him this early and THAT'S exactly what I wanted out of my initial post.

I perfectly was clear but if you don't feel that way... fine. But nobody's going to put words in my mouth. I'm a huge fan of Rick Smith and me questioning the Texans waiting at least a month or two (camps) shouldn't be considered an anti-Smith campaign being put forth by me. I really do love Rick Smith.

My thinking is that we wait and see how at least one more round of picks are going to pan out. When I say pan out, let me be more clear for the rest of the board, I do not mean reaches his full potential but Duane Brown has to at least get something running out of the board before Mendenhall goes nuts on us on opening day or something like that. AT LEAST let us get a couple of reps in by the younger guys so we can get a better picture of how they're going to be looking. Our front office wasn't worried about Mario Williams even though it took him a season and half before he turned the light on. They knew what he was going to be able to accomplish (barring injuries and whatnot).

If the board doesn't agree with me, I'm ok with that. I actually am starting to agree with the rest of the board mainly because of YOUR argument, ObsiWan. You sold me on him.

I never asked that we wait until his contract expires. Never. Just a whole year before seems a bit much. I'm most certainly not very experienced with GM turnover being from Houston. We pretty much stick with our guys, don't we?

As for you being a nice fellow....

Weak or not, you have an agressive demeanor but boy are you funny! Just to be clear, I'm not laughing with you...