View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008   #23
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's contract may get extended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
My my.. Aren't you a bundle of joy here?
hey, you're the one who took offense where none was intended. Perhaps you shouldn't be so sensitive.

Quote:
It's a message board? Isn't this where I come to get information from fellow fans? Seriously... work on your demeanor. Just because you're fifty something years old doesn't give you the right to mockingly dismiss who I'm a fan of. I'm a big fan of Rick Smith and you're not going to mock that, old man.
That's what was so confusing about your initial post.

My point in asking you to think about what you were saying is this: waiting to resign a GM that, we both agree, has done a much better job than his predecessor - with much less to work with - is contradictory to being a "big fan".
[/quote]

Quote:
Respect given is respect earned. You've earned nothing from me.

That being said...
That's totally your call.

Quote:
I'm under the impression that he's in year two of his contract. At best, he's got one full year to go. Not seven months as Lucky implied. For me to even ask to see at least how our picks are panning out over camp and stuff isn't asking much on waiting before signing Smith to a blockbuster contract which is what I probably want to happen because I'm a huge fan of him. I just want to get a better sampling is all.
The draft isn't the whole picture. The fact that he managed to find some real F/A nuggets when our secondary was depleted and found Andre Davis, who ended up saving our bacon when A.J. went down. Also, Demps, Cochran, Maddox, Leach, were all hits from no where.

Those finds represent a sufficiently large data set for me to reward him with an extension.

Having said that, he hasn't been perfect. The Jordan Black signing, some would say the Ahman Green signing, were misses. We have yet to see how Jacque Reeves and Chaun Thompson will pan out.

Regarding how draft picks will turn out... Pundits say that as a general rule that it takes 2-3 years for a draft to bear real fruit. If you get your picks to significantly contribute, sooner than that, you had a helluva draft or your team sucked and all the old guard needed to go (see us after 2005 or KC this year). Yes, I know you said that, and I agree. The point here is, by the time you see what fruit his two drafts brought, Smith's contract will be up and he could be elsewhere.

So, on balance, the man has done good work. Give him an extension. There's no need to wait.

Quote:
If his contract really is up at the end of the year then I can fully understand him being extended at this point in time.
Fair enough

Quote:
Be nice.
I'm always nice.
....even when youngsters make a weak attempt at a slam by calling me "old man". I intend to get a lot older.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote