Thread: Okam
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008   #44
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Okam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I take the Texans at their word on Brown. They scouted who might fit as a ZBS O linemen. Then they looked at who was likely going to be still available by the time the Texans picked. Then they really focused on those guys to see if they made sense for the team.

(And they pretty much nailed Brown's value in this particular draft given what the 49ers were planning to do next).

With only 5 picks in the draft and lots of needs, it was pretty obvious that they weren't going to have any room to move up.

And if you look at Brown's career, in some ways it is right up the alley of what the Texans like. Selfless guys who do what the coaches want and the team needs, are teachable and are leaders and good guys in the lockerroom.

I think some scouts look at players in a vacuum without figuring out how they might fit on a particular team. Through Round 5, the Texans picked a bunch of guys who you can picture in your mind as someone who fits what the Texans are looking for. That they are the type of guys they like, and fit very specific needs. Especially in lower rounds, relative worth of players is very very subjective.

I've been told by more than one person for the Texans that fit is a really important thing to Kubiak and company. That guys who don't fit the true believer, try hard, have their football priorities straight, just get it guys, really stand out in the locker room as people who don't fit in.

If getting those players who get it is a priority, a lot of players may come off your draft board.
I believe you're exactly right . It seems like the good fit guys can play a bit also , hopefully good enough to go to a super bowl .