Thread: Okam
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008   #28
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Okam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't think they reached at all...Mayo was one of my favorite front7 players in this draft. People tend to praise NE because they draft so well. People tend to not praise us since we had such a miserable draft record leading up to the new management and coaching staff. For the record, NE was reamed up and down for their first draft in the Belicheck era....people were giving them F's and D's and hammered them for "reaching" and passing on "proven talent"...but it turned out to be an outstanding draft.
I think especially in the upper rounds, you have to be pretty darn sure you want to give THAT much money to THAT guy because of the way the rookie salary cap works. BPA really needs to acknowledge team fit too.

FWIW:

You want to know why Rick Smith keeps on talking about working with coaches and assistant coaches on the draft? Word I heard from Reliant was that Casserly did very little consultation with most of the assistant coaches, and that McNair wanted a better explanation of that than "that's how we do it in the NFL, see."

I've also heard through a pretty decent source that the Texans are one of the few teams in the league that puts together their draft board with tons of imput from both offensive and defensive coaches working all together. That each side of the ball, working with the scouts, works on their draft boards. Then, they all get together and advocate for different players in the draft for their team board. I was told that this approach takes more time than some teams do in the league, but they are happier with the results in the end.

The coaches have to believe in the players they draft or the guys aren't going to be developed well. There were a number of players in the Capers/Casserly era who were penalized because Cass liked them but Capers didn't. (There were also players that Capers adored, that Cass thought were mistakes--they were often not on the same page).

Looking at NE, what did they have before the draft? Old guys at LB. Draft linebackers are guys who if they are good, their skills translate to the field faster than some other positions. NE grabbed their 2008 version of Ryans/Willis--that works out well for them if they can get a DROY no matter where they draft.