View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton looks to impress in mini-camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
True Mike, but they are not even hitting yet. The kid is not much different in stature from some of the best RB's in history.

Barry Sanders 5'9" 201 lbs
Walter Payton 5'10" 200 lbs
Tiki Barber 5'10" 205 lbs
Terrell Davis 5'10 210 lbs
Emmitt Smith 5'9" 216 lbs

I would say his fumbles probably are coming from nerves on the first days more than anything else. I read he runs with the ball high and tight like Tiki did once Tiki solved his fumbling problem.

Let's get the pads on and see what the kid does.

I am trying to find his fumbles in college, but it says 0..I don't think that is right.
Oh I'm not necessarily questioning his size. I'm just saying that's how I interpreted the statement by Kubiak because he says that Slaton has the technique correct.

One thing... you're bringing up hall of famers. Steve Slaton hasn't even cracked the 200 lb mark and that makes him on the small side of every one of those guys and they're already SMALL. It's just a concern and something that I'll be watching very very closely. He's five pounds smaller than the best one on that list in Barry Sanders but just how many Barry Sanders are there? Times are also different. Back in the day, you could just flash your way through the field but nowadays that's become far more difficult to do. Play Walter Payton in today's game and I think we'd see a significant change in his numbers but that's just me.

I didn't realize Payton was only 5'10. I really thought he was a giant. He sure did play like a giant.

Then back at West Virginia, Steve Slaton had several fumbles. Can anyone find the number? I know for a fact that he fumbled the ball on two consecutive snaps against Louisville a year or two ago.

I'm rooting so hard for Steve Slaton. I really am. I want him to be a hall of famer for the Houston Texans.