View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008   #13
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton looks to impress in mini-camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I'm not concerned about a fumble in mini-camp. So long as he gets his plays down and doesn't make a habit of turning the ball over, he has all of the qualities one would look for in a RB (minus size). This guy was a monster in college and, should it translate, will be a back to be feared in the NFL.
He fumbled the ball a few times. Not just merely a fumble.

Quote:
Running back Steve Slaton demonstrated his distinct ball-carrying style, holding it high near his shoulders. He flashed great quickness and edge speed on several runs, but also fumbled the ball a few times in the five mini-camp practices.
Kubiak was asked whether Slaton’s manner of holding the ball was a concern.
“No, he carries the ball correctly,” Kubiak said. “He’s got the pressure points and stuff. He’s small in stature, and a lot of the contact with him is around the ball, whereas some guys it’s around the legs.
“It’s been a rude awakening for him these last few days. We’re constantly trying to strip the ball. But I have confidence in him that he’ll try to protect the ball. I thought he did some very good things this weekend.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4316

I just don't want any misconceptions about what has and hasn't been done. He's fumbled the ball more than once and that's a fact.

Now what I do like is that Kubiak believes that he carries the ball correctly. Now what I'm interpreting from Kubiak's statements is that Slaton may be prone to fumbling as a result of his size, not technique. That right there worries me. His fumblitits may not be coachable. Size does matter in the NFL.