View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive playbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't think he's a great DC...

There's more to it than just coming up with creative schemes...

As a DC you have to have good anticipation, knowledge of your personnel, knowledge of opposing personnel, schemes that are effective + much more...

If we're discussing Richard Smiths anticipation re: when and what defensive plays to call, that is very much debatable...You have to know your opponents tendencies and you have to be a good guesser...

As far as his overall scheme is concerned (what kind of coverage we mostly ran/how much we blitz), I think that is largely dependent on the guys he has playing for him...

I always here folks say "we should blitz more", but who are we supposed to be blitzing ? Morlon ? He's not a good blitzer... I think he's still in single digit sacks for his career... Danny Clark ? LOL....Our DB's ? Demeco is our best blitzer, period but at the same time he's our best LB in coverage...Add all that up with a porus secondary and that doesn't equal a whole lot of blitzing...LB's that struggle to create pressure + an injury depleted already porus secondary....

Yeah lets get exotic with our play-calls....LMAO.....We'd have gotten the snot kicked out of us....

With the addition of Adibi, Molden, A youthful Zach Diles, the maturation of Fred Bennet, Dunta's return, Ray Rhodes with the secondary, The D-line maturing...I expect to see a more aggresive defensive package...

JMO.
My thoughts also. As quick as Kubes was to subtract players he did not think were helping, I can't see him keeping a DC around that has some decent players but still not jelling. Richard Smith is on a short rope with me.