View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008   #28
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Are we REALLY playoff material yet?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Okam is at 325 now I think. He shrunk a lot after the combine.
Then he needs to put some weight back on. Rick Smith refers to him playing at 335 in college as an asset.

Quote:
What you have here is a big football player. He brings a size and dimension that we don’t have with our defensive line. This guy is 6-4 ½. I think at the combine he was 347 pounds and I think he played at 335. So that’s a size you are looking for, especially in our league where you have to stop the run. We think he has that type of ability. Plus, the size of this man; he is also a very good athlete.
Quote:
(on weight concerns of Okam) “No, when you see this guy with his shirt off, you will see him when he comes in here that he looks good. He was a little heavy at the combine, but like I said he was down to 335. He’s a big man. He’s got long legs, about 34 inch arm length. He probably has the biggest hands in the combine which is very important for defensive guys to be able to grab onto people and get rid of them - size 11 hands, so for most things, he got all those measurables that you look for. The thing that excites us most about this kid is his size and athletic ability.
Quote:
(on how Texans will utilize Okam) “When you look at us on our inside at our defensive tackle position, you have Travis Johnson, who had a great year, and you have Amobi Okoye, who is a three technique, and behind him, you got (Anthony) Maddox. We’re really a little bit under sized inside. We’re excited about this guy because he has the athletic ability that he can play either position. Whatever the position may be, that’s going to work its way out in time. We were excited because coming into the draft, we were looking for a bigger inside player. I know everybody reads and talks about us getting another pass rusher, everybody in the country would like that. But at this particular time in the draft, we were fortunate to get this big man.
Based off of this, if he has dropped the pounds, he needs to put them back on. If he's at 325, he's just a pinch bigger than Travis Johnson. If he can play at 335 and still display good athletic ability, which according to Smith, he can, then he needs to.