View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008   #26
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Are we REALLY playoff material yet?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
What really surprised me was the Texans also added some meat to the middle of their D-Line by selecting Frank Okam out of UT in the 5th round. I was lukewarm about taking Okam, as I felt like a pass rusher would have made more sense.

However, considering how the Texans fared against the run in '07, having a 6'4", 325-pounder manning the nose next to Okoye isn't a bad idea either. It'll be difficult for teams to isolate Okoye on running downs with Okam over the center and filling the gap between C and guard. Big Frank will be another factor that will make teams have to choose carefully who of the Texans front four to double team.

Its just a few questions that I still have but, who will make the most impact? Who will make the most contribution for the Texans success this season? Do you think Kubiak and Smith down yet?!
I meant to touch on Okam but was pressed for time. At 6'4" and 347 pounds, he gives us something that we didn't have on the DL before. His size, strength, and run-stuffing ability give us an added dimension to our front 7. I don't think he'll be a starter, but he should be great in a rotation and grow into the starting DT spot next to Okoye. Without Okam, our DT rotation is a slew of one gap penetrator types, but Okam can tie up blockers and leave Amobi and Demeco free to make plays. It's the same reason that the Ravens took Ngata a couple of years back. Travis Johnson played valiantly in this role, but it's not his strong suit. He was billed as the type of DT who will disrupt plays in the backfield, yet he's given the job to tie up multiple OL. Hopefully he can rotate to Okoye's position a few plays a game and give him a rest. The residual effect of the Okam pick is pretty amazing.

To answer your questions, it's very hard to pinpoint one player who will have the greatest impact on a team. On offense, I would have to say it would be Andre Johnson. Our offense was night and day without him last year. On defense, a lot is riding on Mario and Demeco since the play level from them to the potential backups is so dramatic. In terms of new players, I see either Slaton or Brown (if he can stay healthy...unlikely) making the most impact on the offense and on defense, as much as I'd like to say it will be Thompson or Bentley, I'm looking for Reeves to make the biggest impact on our defense. Whether that's positive or negative remains to be seen.