View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008   #7
Polo

Default Re: Defensive playbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
That is a good point.

My thing is before he came to Houston, it was like his 3rd stop in 5 years. I figure he's a "journeyman" as far as coaches are concerned.

The saints game is what did it for me. when it came third and a passing down....you KNEW it was going to colston and they still connected. Yes we won the game and thats what matters but it just seems to indicate that late in the game Richard couldnt tune in to what they were doing.

Im prolly gonna get a lot of static for this but hey, its what forums are for.
I don't think he's a great DC...

There's more to it than just coming up with creative schemes...

As a DC you have to have good anticipation, knowledge of your personnel, knowledge of opposing personnel, schemes that are effective + much more...

If we're discussing Richard Smiths anticipation re: when and what defensive plays to call, that is very much debatable...You have to know your opponents tendencies and you have to be a good guesser...

As far as his overall scheme is concerned (what kind of coverage we mostly ran/how much we blitz), I think that is largely dependent on the guys he has playing for him...

I always here folks say "we should blitz more", but who are we supposed to be blitzing ? Morlon ? He's not a good blitzer... I think he's still in single digit sacks for his career... Danny Clark ? LOL....Our DB's ? Demeco is our best blitzer, period but at the same time he's our best LB in coverage...Add all that up with a porus secondary and that doesn't equal a whole lot of blitzing...LB's that struggle to create pressure + an injury depleted already porus secondary....

Yeah lets get exotic with our play-calls....LMAO.....We'd have gotten the snot kicked out of us....

With the addition of Adibi, Molden, A youthful Zach Diles, the maturation of Fred Bennet, Dunta's return, Ray Rhodes with the secondary, The D-line maturing...I expect to see a more aggresive defensive package...

JMO.