Thread: Dan Riley
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008   #37
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Re: Dan Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Here are a couple of points:

I think you can lift all you want but it may not make you football strong

Strength is a big part of athletic ability but you are correct in that there is a big difference between weight room strength and what you see on the football field. The main difference is that there is no time constraint to force production in the weight room, meaning that all you have to do is lift the weight. No one gets a prize for the fastest lift, just the most weight lifted. On the football field it is all about how much force you can produce in a given amount of time. When a lineman fires out of the hole he has a couple of tenths of a sec to produce enough force to knock his guy back. If both the OLman and the DLman can both squat 500lbs in the weightroom, but on the field the OL can produce 350lbs of force before contact and the DL can only produce 300lbs - guess whose getting knocked on their butt? Hopefully that kind of explains "football"strength. In actuality it is power that is important to an athlete (which is basically the amount of force produced with in a certain amount of time).

Unfortunately I have to go back to work so I will address more later. Peace from sunny San Diego

Well said. Vernon Davis was an absolute MONSTER at the combine. 475 bench press. 600 squat 4.3/40? and NONE of it has transfered. Football/Functional strengh cant be done in weight room IMO.