Thread: Dan Riley
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008   #34
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dan Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I am a strength and conditioning coach and I have to say I am not a big believer in what Riley does. Machine training is ridiculous. Machine squats not compressing the spine so they are safer - he should read Stuart McGill's material. McGill states it is easier to seriously hurt yourself on a leg press then by doing squats, additionally leg press does little to train hip extension which is the key element to power and speed. Saying you don't like plyometrics is like saying I don't like how the body works - ignorant. Sprinting is a plyometric activity, do you not like that either Riley? The only thing he has said that I would agree with is that strength is the foundation of athletic ability, it is a bit simplified but it is true. I can explain later if anyone is interested - I have to go to work.
You should read what is in the manual. It may be a little dated like a lot of stuff on the website because it still has Capers references in it.

He wants people to practice running, running in a specific way specific to what they do on the field. He believes practicing running fast gets you running fast--you can't really argue with that.

But basically, the program is running and lifting and some stretching. I don't think running and lifting alone is good preparation for football.

I think you can lift all you want but it may not make you football strong.

I believe in muscle specificity like he talks about--but you lift weights, it makes you good at lifting weights. Moving heavy things in action gets all that connective stuff working.

I've become a big believer in things that you do that improve balance and and muscles working in sports-oriented ways. Strength in movement.

I also believe in rest and active rest.

The concept of active rest reducing soreness I understand, but I'm not sure that maximal exersion on Mondays after games is the best idea I've heard. I would think that would get you wore down. It's when you are worn down that it is easier to get hurt.