Thread: Mini-camp
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008   #44
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Mini-camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
But couldn't you disguise the zone/man part of it while still lining up over the oppostions best WR rather than play one side of the field? I mean you could still go into a zone from that right? I'm not arguing just asking. I'm simply trying to figure out what perceived advantage it is for the Dback to line up on one side only. Simplicity? I really don't know, but it's something that keeps bugging me about our system.
I know the New Orleans Saints do the same thing with their secondary. They had one very good CB who played on the left side and one very poor CB who played on the right, and it did not matter which side the dangerous WR was on. This made it very easy for defenses to pick on J. David. Basically, for the Saints M. McKenzie was DRob, and J. David was Faggins. I think Smith's defensive approach is intriguing and promising, but it fails when you have obvious discrepancies between players. However, if you have two OLBs with roughly the same size and ability, it doesnt matter which side the offense lines up on. Same being true for cornerbacks. Bennett and Molden will need to elevate their game to the same level as Robinson for the diabolical "vanilla strategy" to be effective.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote