Thread: Mini-camp
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008   #39
Polo

Default Re: Mini-camp

I still don't think that our Safeties and OLB's are supposed to be "interchangeable" in the sense that they are supposed to play similar roles...IMHO, that wouldn't make much sense...

I don't think our SS turns into a FS when the strength switches, and I don't think our WLB takes on the role of a SLB if the strength changes...

It's just like Madden...The safeties, OLB's, DE's and CB's don't switch unless you make them...

Despite that, the FS is going to be the safety who is over the top most of the time and the SS will me man up on the TE or RB, or Reciever....

A lot of people assume that if the SS is man up on the TE, if that TE then goes to the opposite side the other Safety (FS) must then take on the SS responsibilities...

That is not always true...A LB may then become responsible for the TE if it's man...
All the while your defense isn't shifting much and there won't be a dead giveaway of whether its zone or man...

If it's zone then it's zone...doesn't matter where they shift other than the fact that defenders need to have recognition...If someone goes in motion the SS is not all of a sudden going to have over the top coverage and the FS is not all of a sudden going to have the motioning player man up....

Play Madden....Look at the pre-snap defensive assignments and watch how the red lines change but responsibilities basically stay the same without the LB's or safeties moving....Blitzes don't change based on motions unless specifically ordered by the coach..

And I'm not saying that our FS is never going to play in the box or be in man coverage...

But it's pretty obvious that our OLB's are not meant to be interchangeable....Look at the guys we play on the weakside and look at the guys we play on the strongside...

At one OLB spot we tend to play thicker stronger less athletic brick wall type guys...Danny Clark, Zach Diles, Charlie Anderson, Shante Orr (former DE's)...at the other spot we play guys who move better in space are better in coverage and tend to be quicker ; Greenwood, Shawn Barber, Adibi...

This is not coincidence...It is because our OLB's have different roles...

Last edited by Polo; 05-07-2008 at 11:41 AM.