View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008   #423
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown = Texans' First Round Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
how many Super Bowls has Gibbs been to without Elway? ZERO. Excuse me if I wait for him to 'Show Me' that he can make it work here. You would think based on some people's opinions of his system that defensive lines will part like Moses at the Red Sea and we will run through the playoffs like a hot knife through butter.
Well, I'd like to know your opinion of other coaches around the league. Let's just take your thought process. (of course Gibbs isn't a head coach so I'm not too sure it's that fair in the 1st place)

How many Super Bowls has Bill Bilichik been too without Tom Brady?
How many Super Bowls has Tony Dungy been too without Peyton Manning?
How many Super Bowls has Coach X been to without Franchise QB Y?

You get my point.

I think a more fair assessment would be to analyze how the Offenses have faired in relation to other teams in the league while Gibbs has been with that team, don't you? More importantly, a main reason for hiring Gibbs is to get better at running the ball- Kubiak has stated countless times, 'we have to get better running the ball.' Keep in mind, Gibbs isn't here to coach the team to multiple super bowls, Kubiak is. Gibbs is here to install his system and players, and get the lines blocking correctly for better rushing and passing.

Quote:
Gibbs brings a wealth of coaching and administrative experience to the Texans. In his most recent coaching position, he served as the assistant head coach/offensive line, as well as consultant, with the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06. In 2004 the Falcons led the NFL in rushing for the first time in team history. They rushed for a team-record 2,672 yards, third highest rushing yards total in the NFL since 1990.

During the three seasons with Gibbs on staff in Atlanta, the team led the NFL in rushing with 8,157 yards. Atlanta was the only team over that three-year period to record a rushing average above five yards at 5.1.
Quote:
Gibbs worked with Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, who served as the offensive coordinator in Denver, from 1995-03. During their time together, the Broncos led the NFL in rushing with 20,150 yards. Denver finished second in total offense with 54,167 yards during their nine seasons together.

He spent 13 combined seasons (1984-1987 and 1995-2003) mentoring the offensive line with the Broncos, where he established several franchise records. He played an essential role with the Broncos during their back-to-back Super Bowl wins in the late 90s. The offensive line set numerous franchise records during his second tenure with Denver, including most total yards (6,554 in 2000), most first downs (383 in 2000), most rushing yards (2,468 in 1998) and most rushing touchdowns (32 in 1998).

From 1995-2000, Gibbs’ offensive lines did not allow more than 35 sacks in a season. And during that span center Tom Nalen went to four consecutive Pro Bowls; and in 1998, three Broncos offensive linemen were nominated to the Pro Bowl for their role in winning their second consecutive Pro Bowl and blocking for NFL MVP Terrell Davis, who rushed for over 2,000 yards.
Alex Gibbs Bio

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 05-03-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote